Q: if a young person you’re working with hears voices and misuses drugs or alcohol, and wanted to talk to you about it, would you know what to say or do?
There has been increasing awareness of the relationship between drugs and hearing voices in young people, but much less is said about what it might be like for a young person who uses drugs and hears voices, and even less about ways to support a young person in this situation.
Delivered by trainers with lived experience of substance misuse and hearing voices, this training will:
- look at the relationship between hearing voices and substance misuse in young people
- think about ways of understanding and talking to young people about drugs, alcohol and hearing voices
- think about substance misuse as a ‘coping strategy’, or way of coping with difficult voices
- look at new ways to support young people with hearing voices and substance misuse
About Voice Collective:
Voice Collective is a support service for children and young people up to the age of 20 who hear voices, see visions or have other unusual sensory experiences, paranoia or unusual beliefs. Funded by BBC Children in Need and the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, we provide support to children, young people and their families by email, telephone and face-to-face, via a dedicated online forum and in peer support groups across Greater London and in other parts of the UK. We provide training to CAMHS and EIP services, youth organisations, schools and many more. For more information visit: www.voicecollective.co.uk.
- This course is open to people who support and/or work with children and young people (in a variety of settings, including the home). If you do not currently support or work with children and young people, we may not be able to accept your booking.
- We cannot accept group bookings – each attendee must register themselves and provide their contact details in case of emergencies.
- As our courses are often oversubscribed, please book your place only if you are confident you are able to attend for the full day.
- If you are unable to make the course, please cancel your place as early as possible to avoid spaces going to waste, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.