Whilst around 8% of children and young people hear or see things around them that other people can’t, only a third of these are distressed by them and seek support. Even those with very distressing experiences can learn ways of understanding and dealing with them.
This highly interactive course will explore ways of supporting children and young people to make sense of, and manage, difficult and distressing sensory experiences.
The course includes group discussion, practical activity and role play, and offers participants the opportunity to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the experience of voices, visions and other unusual sensory experiences
- Consider the impact of different explanatory models on a young person, their family & supporters (including psychological, biomedical and spiritual explanations)
- Explore the link between voices, visions, emotions and difficult life experiences
- Build upon a toolkit of strategies to support young people distressed by voices/visions/other sensory experiences
- Hear positive examples of resilience and recovery
Who is this course for?
This course is open to anyone supporting children/young people who hear voices or have other unusual sensory experiences: e.g. psychologists, nurses, OTs, therapists, counsellors, SENCOs, parents/carers etc. It is open to young people (aged 16+) with lived experience.
The course is aimed at those who are already familiar with the Voice Collective ethos and approach: e.g. those who have completed our ‘Level 1’ half day training course, or who have attended an in-house training session/presentation. If you are unfamiliar with our approach, you will be asked to complete a short online study session in advance of the training.
If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact Lucy on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
- This course is open to people who support and/or work with children and young people (in a variety of settings, including the home). If you do not currently support or work with children and young people, we may not be able to accept your booking. Please contact us to find out if we have any spare waiting list places available.
- We cannot accept group bookings – each attendee must register themselves and provide their contact details in case of emergencies.
- As our courses are often oversubscribed, please book your place only if you are confident you are able to attend for the full day.
- If you are unable to make the course, please cancel your place as early as possible to avoid spaces going to waste, by emailing email@example.com.